Re: license language flamewar [was: ITP: squeak-vm, squeak-image, squeak-sources -- A highly portable Smaltalk system]

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 07:39:08AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > ...at least for commercially bought products.
> I'm not commercially selling products in the Netherlands.  I'm distributing
> free software in the United States.  Why should I have to deal with your
> local laws just because you chose to take your copy home with you?

One of the basics of free software is that users and authors get treated
equally (both can make copies and modifications, eg).

Why should I have to deal with your local laws just because I chose not
to live in the US? If you die, and I take over maintaining your program,
why should I have to use US law to sue a German for copyright infringement
instead of either Australian or German law?

Provisions for working out which jurisdiction is the appropriate one to try
a case when a crime crosses jurisdictions is a matter for governments to
work out, not something you ought to try to tack onto your license.

Cheers,
aj