Re: A critical bug in all xfont packages

>> On  2.II.2001 at 23:43 ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:
>> >  So, if there are X bitmap fonts only in the directory, the directory
>> > is not needed to contain encordings.dir.

>> 	Some of the font directories belong to only one package (such
>> as sharefont).  The following directories contain scalable fonts and are
>> shared by more than one package:

>> TrueType: ttf-twmoe-kai, ttf-twmoe-sung, xfonts-arphic-bkai00mp,
>>           xfonts-arphic-bsmi00lp, xfonts-arphic-gbsn00lp,
>>           xfonts-arphic-gkai00mp

 xfonts-arphic-* are only provides fonts.dir for X-TT.
The fonts.dir uses TTCap extension syntax, so it is not able to use
with FreeType backend.

 ttf-xtt-* are provides fonts.dir for FreeType and X-TT.
(Can select which one want to use).

 And ttf-xtt-* uses mkfontdir with -e option.

>> 	I don't know do the packages in TrueType and X-TT directories
>> need encodings.dir or not.

 FreeType backend does use fontenc layer. So, It does need
encordings.dir.

 X-TT backend does not use fontenc layer, it uses code conversion
dynamic loading modules. So, it does not need encordings.dir

>> 	The problem with removed encodings.dir file may be is not so
>> urgent with the other font packages, but should be solved---no package
>> is allowed to remove a file belonging to another package.  Should I file
>> bug reports against them too (with normal severity)?

 I think so, this problem should be solved.

 If xfonts-* packages will use mkfontsdir at install/remove, it is
better to add `-e /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings -e
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large' options.

--
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi
 <ishikawa@linux.or.jp>, <ishikawa@debian.org>, <ishikawa@redhat.com>