Re: A critical bug in all xfont packages

>> Hi!

>> The new XFree4 X server and font server don't have internal support
>> for all encodings.  For some of them they need a file encodings.dir in
>> the font directories.  The command `mkfontdir' automatically makes
>> such a file if invoked with the option '-e', for example:
>>
>> mkfontdir -e /usr/lib/X11/fonts/encodings /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1

 I think you misunderstand the encodings.dir.

 encordigs.dir file is only used by Type 1, CID, Speedo, and
the FreeType TrueType. X Bitmap font engine does not use the file.

 For detail, please see section 4 `Fonts and internationalization' in
/usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/README.fonts.gz

 So, if there are X bitmap fonts only in the directory, the directory
is not needed to contain encordings.dir.

--
ISHIKAWA Mutsumi
 <ishikawa@linux.or.jp>, <ishikawa@debian.org>, <ishikawa@redhat.com>