Re: Perl essential ?

Jim Lynch wrote:

> Howbout dpkg? essential? you gonna tell the author what language he can
> write it in? By that definition, packaging is not necessary and nor are
> package tools of any kind. So they get aced off the floppy, to be downloaded?
>
> Please get real... and think in terms of what is essential TO INSTALL
> DEBIAN, and to install it in the absense of any other operating system
> on the target machine.
>
> "Oh, I forgot that dpkg is essential to install debian packages"
> (-Hyp O. Thetical)
>
> Ya think??

Nothing was said about removing dpkg from essential.

Packaging tools are essential becasue all the programs are inside...
packages.
It is essential we have packages to maintain order.

Nobody is trying to tell people what language they can/cannot use,
people work on what they want, but the suitability of their work for a
particular task has to take into consideration its dependencies.

I dont think the perl-base situation is very bad, jsut that it should be
a long term goal to get rid of it from essentail. If an esssential
package breaks, we are in trouble, so the less the better.

e.g. Imagine if an essential package depended on JDK1.2.

Glenn