Re: A critical bug in all xfont packages

On  2.II.2001 at 23:43 ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:

>  I think you misunderstand the encodings.dir.
>
>  encordigs.dir file is only used by Type 1, CID, Speedo, and
> the FreeType TrueType. X Bitmap font engine does not use the file.

	Yes, you are right.  The bitmap font engine still does not use
encodings.dir.

>  So, if there are X bitmap fonts only in the directory, the directory
> is not needed to contain encordings.dir.

	Some of the font directories belong to only one package (such
as sharefont).  The following directories contain scalable fonts and are
shared by more than one package:

Type1: gsfonts-x11, scalable-cyrfonts-x11, xfonts-greek-ph-scalable,
       xfonts-scalable

TrueType: ttf-twmoe-kai, ttf-twmoe-sung, xfonts-arphic-bkai00mp,
          xfonts-arphic-bsmi00lp, xfonts-arphic-gbsn00lp,
          xfonts-arphic-gkai00mp

	I don't know do the packages in TrueType and X-TT directories
need encodings.dir or not.  My package (scalable-cyrfonts-x11) is
affected by three packages (gsfonts-x11, xfonts-greek-ph-scalable and
xfonts-scalable).  I will wait some days for suggestion and if there is
no suggestion here, I will file bug reports against these three
packages.
	The problem with removed encodings.dir file may be is not so
urgent with the other font packages, but should be solved---no package
is allowed to remove a file belonging to another package.  Should I file
bug reports against them too (with normal severity)?

Anton Zinoviev, zinoviev@debian.org