Re: An alarming trend (no it's not flaimbait.) (fwd)

	It's a normal bug at the minimal. I couldn't get CDRToaster to even do
a simple burn of a single directory! So I think the bug description would be
more like "CDRToaster has failed to follow the evolution of mkisofs's command
line parameters. As a result many fetures that CDRToaster purports to have now
fail to work at all." As such this is now a critical or at minimal important
bug.

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 09:56:10PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:26:50PM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:
> > Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > > Oh god no. Please no. Inflating bug severeties just makes it harder
> > > to do releases; if there's a problem with normal bugs being ignored
> > > (and, IMO, there is), it needs to be addressed directly, not worked
> > > around by filing everything as important or higher.
> > If the software is broken enough that people find it really doesn't
> > work for its intended purpose, I agree with Henrique's idea that a bug
> > should be filed that will block the software from getting released.
>
> That's not really what's at issue here though; the bug that started this
> thread was "support passing -graft-points to mkisofs". That's not a grave,
> critical or serious bug, and, TBH, I can't really see it being even a
> normal or important bug. It's just a completely legitimate wishlist request
> that'd probably be implemented in a couple of weeks if there was someone
> actively working on maintaining cdrtoaster.
>
> The problem isn't that the package is buggy and unusable per se, it's
> just that it's not being kept up to date with other software in the
> distribution.
>
> Cheers,
> aj
>
> --

	As I said before, thats a rather bad bug. One that will continue to
cause the package to fail more and more in more common usage. Debian updated
it's version of mkisofs, and thus IT broke CDRToaster. As such this is now in
part a debian specific bug that hasn't been addressed in over a year IMHO.

	When a distribution (or maintainer) upgrades a package that other
pack ages depend on, it is NOT up to the upstream to make the affected package
compliant with the now-upgraded sub-package(mkisofs in this case) work togeather
properly. It's the responsibility of the two packagers to fix this "broken by
upgrade" bug. This is the core of my beef that got me started.

> Anthony Towns <aj@humbug.org.au> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>
> I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG signed mail preferred.
>
> The daffodils are coming. Are you?
>       linux.conf.au, February 2002, Brisbane, Australia
>                                 --- http://www.linux.org.au/conf

TerraBox.com    Fingerprint: 2849 5090 D4E0 2A6C C648  A750 52F8 8504 67DB 205C