Re: An alarming trend (no it's not flaimbait.)

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:43:53PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:57:17AM -0600, ahzz-debate@vmail.terrabox.com wrote:
>
> > 	As debian "caught up" on versions, CDRToaster became
> > 	increasingly buggy. The last modification that I saw to it over
> > 	a year ago was to let it support > 8x CDR drives. I personaly
> > 	took the time to patch it and send out a patch. I never saw it
> > 	in debian until the upstream included it approximatly 2 motnhs
> > 	later. This is too long of a timeframe for a simple patch to
> > 	take to "fix" something. Now this was a feature enhancement and
> > 	was easy to accept that it took a bit to get back into debian.
>
> It seems perfectly reasonable to punt patches that aren't Debian
> specific to upstream.  It helps both upstream and the Debian maintainer
> if everyone is working off the same version of the package, particularly
> when Debian users try to go upstream for support.  Slow release cycles
> already create enough hassle with that without starting to modify the
> package under upstream.
>
> Where upstream is inactive or unresponsive things are a little
> different, of course.

	Yup, this is the situation that I was attempting to describe, when
upstream seems to be ignoring the package, debian can then take on some of the
smaller patches that fix functionality that is broken (such as the grafting
ability. pretty important in making iso images IMHO>) If the maintainer had
a way of keeping track of small patches via some method(cvs maybe?) then they
could peel them back off once the offical patch made it's way back to them
from upstream months (years even? *shudder*) later.