Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 04:45:14PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 01:42:45AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > But you do agree that it requires having *some* data, no matter what
> > > "game" it's for?  Which means having a Depends: quake2-data?
> > >
> > > And if you wish to argue that it can be used to develop the data, then
> > > you should have no problem in providing such a package of it.
> >
> > Does python "Depend: some-python-script"? No, it doesn't. Python is an
> > interpreter. Same logic applies for the quake2 engine. Other things will
> > depend on it, not the other way around.
>
> You are trying to duck a fundamental issue: that a quake-engine binary
> package will be utterly useless to about everyone.
>
> First: Python is immediately useful without any scripts.
> You can run it with the -c option to run python commands without any script
> coming into the game.

Just because it is easier to write scripts for Python than it is
quake2-engine, doesn't change the fundemental issue that the sources are
for an engine, not a game.

> Second: It is easy to write scripts.  People do write them.
> The challenge here is: Show me a single useful way to invoke the quake
> engine with only free software or data.  Even if it is just an empty room
> without any monsters, weapons.  Just a wall.  Something.

Again, it is not easy to write C code, but gcc is useless without it.
Complexity means nothing.

> Third: Python scripts exist.  There are plenty in Debian.
> Show me a quake-data package that requires the engine.

I'm giving up. Let's just dump it into contrib and tell everyone to
either warez the data files or buy them. Screw trying to promote free
stuff. Screw trying to promote people to create free datafiles for a
free game engine.

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \