Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

I'm willing to accept the quake2-engine in non-us as long as it is
available somewhere with a maintainer to bounce issues off of. I suspect
that myself and Ben excluded everyone else will accept it going into
contrib...

I've downloaded just about everything there is at ftp.idsoftware.com and
the docs are correct, there is no completely functioning edit tool for
building game data files.

There has been talk on this thread about someone trying to get it together
to build such and editor/datastructure but nothing is known to have come
of it. I'd love some starting points to begin a search for just what _was_
accomplished.

As I see it, there needs to be a datastructure definition before there can
be an adequate game editor, so there are two major jobs that need
coordination with predefined lack of overlap (clean room...)

I can "do" either one of these jobs with some help, but I'd rather work on
the editor group if there were an adequate spec...

I've e-mailed Jamie Wilkinson (who said he was working on a .deb) and
offered my services to help get a totally free game on the table. I
haven't heard back yet, but it is the holidays ;-)

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-