Re: ITP: mta-dummy

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 03:48:31PM -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:35:52PM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > 2) Several high-priority packages depend on mail-transport-agent.  Again,
> > most programs depending on (e.g.) httpd or ftpd are optional add-on packages
> > such as kwuftpd or analog.  This makes it much harder to remove the currently
> > installed MTA without breaking dependencies, because you'd have to remove
> > things like at and cron.
>
> dpkg --purge --force-depends some-lame-mta

Yes, you can do that, if you want apt to complain about broken packages every
time you run it and not allow you to install anything else until the
dependency is fixed.  Even if this wasn't the case, what do you think would
happen when a package that depends on m-t-a was upgraded?  Or if I wanted to
install some new package that depends on m-t-a?

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>