Re: ITP: mta-dummy

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Adam McKenna wrote:
> I'd like to discuss the creation of an mta-dummy package.

[... makes installing an MTA from source easier ...]

> If anyone can think of a serious reason that this shouldn't be in the archive
> (i.e., other than that you think it's silly, or the standard Packages file
> bloat argument), please speak up, otherwise I'll upload this in a week or so.

Why only an mta-dummy package? Why not a also httpd-dummy, ftpd-dummy,
ircd-dummy, and whatnot?

If you want to install from source, I think it's better to either
- Use the Debian source package (if the reason you want to install from
source is not that you think that the Debian package sucks)
- Create a dummy package yourself, locally. There is a package in the
archive that allows you to do just that; if I understood correctly, all
you have to do was to create a controlfile, run a script over it, and you
have a package with the wanted Depends and/or Provides.

The latter solution has been discussed on this list, not too long ago...

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"