Color in init scripts, was [logcheck] I hear you...

* Adam Lazur <zal@debian.org> [011127 13:41]:
> A URL for the LSB init spec for the lazy is
> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.0.0/gLSB/sysinit.html

Very nice.  This describes the function of the scripts clearly.  Display
of output seems relatively undefined.

If the question of init script output is narrowed to "should we use
color or not?" then I think that using color adds value.  It's another
way to convey information.  It's a good UI element to use.  However,
like someone new to word processing and using fonts for the first time,
colors can be implemented poorly.  The problems are how to:

a) design the way to capture feedback from init script elements
b) convey information succinctly and clearly

The nature of scripts is to be quiet when things go well.  It may be
challenging to design feedback when none is the default!

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>