Re: apt-update via patches

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 10:47:44AM +0000, Ben Bell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:34:17PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > If we use rsync, the client generate 'a own diff'. This is the best way.
> I've tried to search the archives but I'm not getting any useful matches.
> Could you point me at a thread on this so that I can check up on how
> people plan for this to work (particularly the apt-side stuff)?

see thread 'Rsysnc on servers' and mails from Goswin (spezial from
11.11.01)

> > The client fetch only a check sum file, search for parts with the a
> > changed checksum and after this request this parts per HTTP request.
> It will require that mirrors run special software. My solution will
> require them to use more diskspace. I would guess more people would
> swallow diskspace than a software upgrade but I don't know.

no.

this 'client-site' rsync don't need any software or spezial
configuration on the servers.

> Of course the rsync solution would be much neater in many ways, but
> when is it likely to be ready? I'm hoping I can make a prototype of
> this thing ready in the next couple of weeks. And no, that wasn't
> a promise -- I may well see the light and give up tomorrow.

ask goswin....

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer http://www.debsupport.de
XP ist NT mit "Extra Problems".  --- Felix von Leitner in dasr