Re: apt-update via patches

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:31:53AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > Now we only need somebody to write some code to use xdeltas to update
> > packages in the cache...
> shouldn't we wait for a httpable-client-rsync and use this?
You won't get much similarity betwen two deb files. You need to extract
the data.tar.gz and gunzip it produce a diff between that and its
successor. I don't imagine that that's the sort of functionality you'd
have in a generic httpable-client-rsync.
Anyhow, both of these experiments I'm doing are just experiments at
the moment. Hopefully they'll lead to something useful (either directly
or by inspiring someone to do it The Right Way) but if not then it's
not taken up much of my time.

Ben

--
+-----Ben Bell - "A song, a perl script and the occasional silly sig.-----+