Re: apt-update via patches

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 09:40:48AM +0000, Ben Bell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 07:31:53AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > > Now we only need somebody to write some code to use xdeltas to update
> > > packages in the cache...
> > shouldn't we wait for a httpable-client-rsync and use this?
> You won't get much similarity betwen two deb files. You need to extract
> the data.tar.gz and gunzip it produce a diff between that and its
> successor. I don't imagine that that's the sort of functionality you'd
> have in a generic httpable-client-rsync.

we have a rsyncable deb, if we use gzip with the --rync option. See mail
from Goswin Brederlow in debian-devel (11 Nov 2001) 'Rsync on servers'

> Anyhow, both of these experiments I'm doing are just experiments at
> the moment. Hopefully they'll lead to something useful (either directly
> or by inspiring someone to do it The Right Way) but if not then it's
> not taken up much of my time.

A diff is all the time a problem. IMHO

If you have only some diffs on the server, it is useless (one have some
day old files, others some weeks old files). And all the diff eat space
on the servers.

Gruss
Grisu
Linux -- das System fuer Kaltduscher und aechte Maenner   aus d.c.o.u.l.n