Re: apt-update via patches

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:34:17PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> sorry ben, this is all a hack.
:)

> If we use rsync, the client generate 'a own diff'. This is the best way.
I've tried to search the archives but I'm not getting any useful matches.
Could you point me at a thread on this so that I can check up on how
people plan for this to work (particularly the apt-side stuff)?

> The client fetch only a check sum file, search for parts with the a
> changed checksum and after this request this parts per HTTP request.
It will require that mirrors run special software. My solution will
require them to use more diskspace. I would guess more people would
swallow diskspace than a software upgrade but I don't know.

> all debian user ('normal' user who use potato and make a normal update
> to woody, a weekly woody/sid update user or people like joey, who make a
> daily upgrade) can use this, without problems.

> Did I miss something?
Yes, the same things as I did with my mail: code and stats on how well
it would perform :)

I'm still testing my ideas -- the only reason I mentioned them was
because someone asked.
Of course the rsync solution would be much neater in many ways, but
when is it likely to be ready? I'm hoping I can make a prototype of
this thing ready in the next couple of weeks. And no, that wasn't
a promise -- I may well see the light and give up tomorrow.

Ben

--
+-----Ben Bell - "A song, a perl script and the occasional silly sig.-----+
  ///      email: bjb@deus.net            www: http://www.deus.net/~bjb/