Re: apt-update via patches

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 12:06:32PM +0000, Ben Bell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:01:49AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > If you have only some diffs on the server, it is useless (one have some
> > day old files, others some weeks old files). And all the diff eat space
> > on the servers.
> No, it isn't useless. It's less useful than a completely comprehensive
> list of diffs certainly but as everyone points out, there is a compromise
> with archive size here.
> Exactly how many diffs we keep would be something that we'd have to
> work out by doing some calculations then tweaking it.
> One example of a solution which would give good results for minimal
> disk space is to keep diffs between successive packages released within
> the last 48 hours (say) and which achieve a compression of >95%. Then
> uploads of something like emacs or X which happen in rapid sucession
> (because of a missing build-depend or a maintainer script typo) would
> not be the PITA the are now.
> This example would only be useful to people who did an upgrade every
> 48 hours at most. But it would also make doing that upgrade a lot
> less painful, so more people would do it and hence be helped.
> Depending on how much disks pace we decided was worth burning on it it
> isn't much of a stretch of imagination to see how you could build some
> fairly simple rules which decided which diffs were worth keeping and
> would still keep the bloat to something sensible and still get a very
> worthwhile decrease in upgrade download size for a good number
> of people.

sorry ben, this is all a hack.

If we use rsync, the client generate 'a own diff'. This is the best way.

The client fetch only a check sum file, search for parts with the a
changed checksum and after this request this parts per HTTP request.

all debian user ('normal' user who use potato and make a normal update
to woody, a weekly woody/sid update user or people like joey, who make a
daily upgrade) can use this, without problems.

Did I miss something?

Gruss
Grisu
»A train station is a station where trains stops.
 But what are workstations?«