Re: Anyone wanting to package digital image archive tool?

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 07:51:56PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> - autoscales images on startup to fit on the display, so that the whole
>   image can be seen (e.g., not display(1))

display -scale 800x600 works for me.

> - is fast to start up and shutdown (e.g., also not display(1))

it's fast enough for me.

> Does a free program with these features exist yet?

yep.  display(1).

i know you are going to disagree with #2 on the need to include a
command line option, but thus i submit to you: alias or shell function.
	a shell function can even query the running X server for it's
	current geometry:
	display -sample $(xwininfo -root|awk '/geometry/{print $2}') $1

#3 is purely subjective, and my test pic displayed quite rapidly when it
was scaled to fit w/in the display. when it had to make a pan widow,
display was a lot slower (though it got the image up quickly, the pan
window took a bit of time)

-john