Re: Anyone wanting to package digital image archive tool?

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 04:45:49PM -0200, Carlos Laviola wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 05:29:32PM +0100, Bart Schuller wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 05:11:47PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > > A few of us are making a tool for managing an archive of images in a
> > > digital form, whether taken with a digital camera or scanned. None of us
> >
> > I'm interested (and a DD, of course). I still haven't found the perfect
> > image viewer, using xzgv most of the time and just tried out gthumb.
>
> Ever tried gqview? It is good too.

Except that you have to use the mouse in order to actually see the image
that you ask for with "gqview <file>".  I would LOVE to get rid of xv, but I
need a viewer that, like xv:

- is usable from the command line without the mouse for quickly viewing a
  file or a list of files (i.e. space-backspace in xv) and scaling them (M
  and -/= in xv)

- autoscales images on startup to fit on the display, so that the whole
  image can be seen (e.g., not display(1))

- is fast to start up and shutdown (e.g., also not display(1))

Does a free program with these features exist yet?

--
 - mdz