Re: Debian Conference 2

On Sun, 2001-10-21 at 04:57, Russell Coker wrote:
> Firstly, why limit ourselves to one conference a year?

A good idea in theory, but in practice more difficult. You have to get
people to actually organize it; preferably, people who are close to the
action. If there are people who are willing to put together say, an
Australian conference and an European conference and a North American
conference (etc..), then that's fine. But it seems to me more people are
interested in going than in doing.

> Secondly I think we should seriously consider options such as OLS.  For
> conferences with a similar technical stand to Debian we can just have several
> Debian developers offer presentations (and I'm sure we can get a few official
> slots at any conference if we try hard enough).  Then we publicise the Debian
> developers who are giving presentations and encourage Debian people to
> attend.  If 100+ Debian people attend we can then get facilities for Debian
> BOF's etc (as you always can if there are a large number of people at a
> conference interested in a particular sub-topic).

This as well is well and good, but it will require someone to actually
organize it with the OLS folks. It's less work certainly, but it is
still organizing work which someone will need to do.

More or less, what I want to know now is: Am I wasting my time by trying
to organize the conference in Toronto? (Am I being usurped by people
who'd rather it be with OLS?) I have no trouble with that, but I'd
rather not waste time in trying to get details from universities if
people are just going to try to make a new conference in Ottawa, one
which I can't organize and I can't attend.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

Please encrypt email sent to me.