solution of sorts and no upload soon (was: Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read])

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:41:32PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     Daniel> Why do you do that? What's the point? Why not just have
>     Daniel> everything unified under /var/www? Makes a lot more sense
>     Daniel> to me. (BTW, I believe Debian's are under
>     Daniel> /org/foo.bar.baz).
>
> because that directory is shared by the old server. This causes extra
> clutter (is that file/directory for the old server or the new
> server?). What happens if your old apache setup has conflicting
> directory names?
>
> Also, if you don't want users to access directories like:
>
> http://the.host.name/other.host.name/cgi-bin
> http://the.host.name/other.host.name/log

The thing we were counting on is apache implementing the same policy,
but I honestly can't see this happening any time soon. *shrug*.

Anyway, as I have so much work to do, the package is in Thom's hands -
he's going to sit and wait for a sane solution, and then implement that.
Obviously this means you won't see an upload soon.

> then either:
>
> a) the directory needs to be different. My preference. I don't
> particular care where it is located or what it will be called. Only,
> it should be easy to change the default (perhaps with a symlink).

/var/web or such? But then again, doing that would still break policy.
An amendment still needs to be made.

> b) the old apache needs to be configured to block access to these new
> directories.

See my first paragraph.

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>