Re: Keeping information on the build system

Yann Dirson wrote:
> > What if I just want to build, say, debconf (which really build depends on
> > nothing in build-essential except make and dpkg-dev), and I didn't
> > really feel like installing a useless C compiler to do it.
>
> Right.  But that problably just means that the set of build-essential
> packages is wrongly defined.
>
> I think it would make sense to separate it into Build-Essential and
> Build-Essential-Indep.  That appears to give the exact result you
> describe.

That was just an example. Here's another one:

What if I want to build, say, bsdgames (which really build depends on
nothing in build-essential except make and dpkg-dev and gcc), and I
didn't really feel like installing a useless C++ compiler [etc]

--
see shy jo