Re: Keeping information on the build system

Yann Dirson wrote:
> I thought it may not be unreasonable for a build mechanism to depend
> on build-essential, or else I missed the purpose of this package.

What if I just want to build, say, debconf (which really build depends on
nothing in build-essential except make and dpkg-dev), and I didn't
really feel like installing a useless C compiler to do it. I can use
dpkg-buildpackage -d currently to skip build deps chacking and the
package will build fine[1]. If it used your dh_buildinfo, it would fail to
build.

--
see shy jo

[1] Actually, since dpkg-checkbuilddeps doesn't enfoce build-essential,
    even plain dpkg-buildpackage would work, but maybe that should be
    changed..