Re: FYI: intent to NMU to fix SDL + static X extension library problem

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 08:08:18PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

[Philippe Troin wants all static libraries in Debian to be shared,
especially the ones I maintain]

> Changing the static X libraries to be dynamic requires recompiling all the
> packages that use them too.
>
> Working out whether the X libraries should be static or shared is
> something that should be done by upstream and the maintainer, who're
> the ones who have to make sure that whatever solution is found works,
> and who have to support it in the future.
>
> Additionally, libraries with unstable APIs and ABIs are very painful
> to work with (on a distribution level) when they're dynamically linked:
> witness the number of packages not compiled with the right C++ libraries
> for example (around 50 on most arches, which is 5% to 10% of all of them),
> or the problems the steadily increasing libgal soname causes (half the
> i386 gal packages are against an old version), or similar examples.

Anthony,

http://www.angryflower.com/pathof.gif

(You're Bob.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     What influenced me to atheism was
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     reading the Bible cover to cover.