Re: FYI: intent to NMU to fix SDL + static X extension library problem

On 7 Oct 2001, Philippe Troin wrote:

>>  xlibs-dev provides static versions of the libraries provided in xlibs, as
>>  well as several libraries that do not exist in shared object form for
>>  various reasons (such as the fact that their API's have not stabilized, or
>>  that they are deprecated).  Header files and manual pages are also
>>  provided.

> Err, if libraries which API's have not stabilized yet or which are
> deprecated should only be provided as static libraries, we can remove
> two third of the shared libraries in the distribution.

Because of course there are no dangers from having software that links in
three different versions of such a dynamic library, right?  If the program and
two of the libraries it depends on all access libXxf86dga routines, well,
segfaulting programs and monitors consumed in flames are a small price to pay
for consistency....

It's hard enough to deal with such situations as it is (c.f. libdb2 v.
libdb3), without creating more such situations against the wishes of the
upstream developers.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer