Re: ddtp: new notifications mails, opt-in or opt-out?

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Christian Kurz wrote:

> > If we would constantly call for formal votes all day long, no more
> > productive work would be done.

> I was not talking about constantly calling for voting, but for important
> changes like the ddts is introducing into debian. And having 10-20
> people creating a consensus for all 700 and more developers is in my
> opinion not acceptable. Especially since the ddts and the improvements
> that it will have for our users, effect every debian developer who
> contributes to this project, to create a good linux distribution.

You seem to be having a serious definition problem here.  Those 10-20 people
*broke* consensus, they did not create it.  There is *no* consensus on the
subject of DDTS, which is why I believe a GR would be in order.

I'm much happier with a procedural structure that weighs the objections of a
small group of developers than I would be with a structure that worked by
tyrrany of the majority[1].  If no one had objected, fine, you could say there
was a consensus.  But you yourself admitted you weren't sure if a GR in favor
of an opt-out system would pass.  If you aren't even confident enough in this
idea to believe that you have the support of the *majority*, then how can you
complain when people say there isn't a *consensus* in your favor?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] Or of the most vocal.