Re: Package descriptions and making them better

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 09:15:48PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Because that would be an ugly hack?
> > No, this is not a hack.
>
> The translation system is about translating the descriptions and *not*
> changing their meaning. Right now, I can quite happily killfile the
> ddts and not have to care even slightly. Equally, people working on
> translations can just do them, and not have to worry about justifying
> themselves to the maintainer. It's really a different task. If you want
> to generalise the ddts to be about descriptions in general (and hey,
> you could even consider thinking about sections and suggests if you want
> to take on even *more* work), that's a different matter.
>
> > clarify the position:
> >  I don't propose to use a new 'english translation'. The server should
> >  make only the coordination!
>
> Having an english translation so that people using ddts saw different English
> descriptions to people not using it would suck too.

Sorry, you (all) misunderstand me.

I rewrite it, please read it:

 I can write a 'mail server' like the ddts to coordinate the review of
 all english descriptions.
 This server will _not_ write mails to the package maintainers. This
 server will send the new descriptions to the submit@bugs.debian.org.

In real I can use the ddts framework with some extra code.

This is only a offer. We have the framework and we can use it.

IMHO you can't review all descriptions only with a mailing list. A
ddts _like_ solution is in my opinion better.

Comments?

Gruss
Grisu
MS Word: Für Texte nicht geeignet.