Re: Package descriptions and making them better

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:39:23PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> Sorry, you (all) misunderstand me.
>
> I rewrite it, please read it:
>
>  I can write a 'mail server' like the ddts to coordinate the review of
>  all english descriptions.
>  This server will _not_ write mails to the package maintainers. This
>  server will send the new descriptions to the submit@bugs.debian.org.

I feel *very* uncomfortable with having autogenerated mails routinely
sent to the bug tracking system. I can certainly believe that, say,
porting bugs are semi-automatically prepared, but porters seem quite
happy to file the bugs themselves and add some human touch to the whole
process rather than going through some centrally maintained server.

Fixing English descriptions will take fewer bugs than porting, I'd have
thought, so a central server shouldn't be necessary.

> IMHO you can't review all descriptions only with a mailing list. A
> ddts _like_ solution is in my opinion better.

Why is reviewing things on a mailing list a problem? I find the ddts
rather impersonal, which I don't think would help the review process.