Re: Package descriptions and making them better

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 12:04:40PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > > What's wrong with using the recently discussed Debian Translation Server for
> > > this. Add the language English and people can then submit corrected
> > > descriptions for each package.
> > Because that would be an ugly hack?
> No, this is not a hack.

The translation system is about translating the descriptions and *not*
changing their meaning. Right now, I can quite happily killfile the
ddts and not have to care even slightly. Equally, people working on
translations can just do them, and not have to worry about justifying
themselves to the maintainer. It's really a different task. If you want
to generalise the ddts to be about descriptions in general (and hey,
you could even consider thinking about sections and suggests if you want
to take on even *more* work), that's a different matter.

> clarify the position:
>  I don't propose to use a new 'english translation'. The server should
>  make only the coordination!

Having an english translation so that people using ddts saw different English
descriptions to people not using it would suck too.

Cheers,
aj

 ``Freedom itself was attacked this morning by faceless cowards.
     And freedom will be defended.''   Condolences to all involved.