Re: XFS Kernel image packaging

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 01:12:52PM -0600, Russel Ingram wrote:
> Pardon me if I sound like a newbie here.  I am fairly new to the
> Debian way, but I am a Linux veteran.  I have noticed that there are
> patches available in the debian package tree for the XFS filesystem
> but there are no available kernel-image packages with XFS already
> built in.  Is there a specific reason for this or is it just because
> no one has stepped forward to offer such a package?

because it's not necessary.

we already have way too many kernel-images with trivial feature
variations - that have no business being in debian supplied kernels, but
should be compiled by those who need them when they need them. debian
should provide only the bare minimum number of kernel images that are
required to install debian...anything else should be a custom kernel
compile by the end user.

if and when XFS support gets into the mainstream kernel, then support
for it should be compiled in.  until then, it's only one of many optional
patches available.

in the meantime, if you want to compile a kernel with xfs support:

1. apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.9 kernel-package

   (you'll also need gcc and bin86 and so on, of course...and libdb3-dev
   if you want to compile aic7xxx support)

2. download the appropriate patch version from
   ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/

3. patch the kernel

4. there will be one reject, in .../linux/init/main.c - it's easy enough to
   patch this by hand with vi.

5. run make config and make-kpkg  - whatever your usual kernel compile
   procedure is.

i've done this dozens of times now. it works.

> I've used the make-kpkg command to create kernel packages, but they
> always come out with a custom-1.00 label on them and I haven't figured
> out how to get around that.

RTFM.  see the --revision option.

craig

--