Re: debconf-gnome and locales

On Tue, 2001-09-25 at 01:36, Joey Hess wrote:
> Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   When using the Gnome frontend for debconf to configure the latest locales
> > upload, I get a list of checkboxes that's about 3 times the height of
> > my screen.  I don't know whose fault this is (which is why I'm not filing
> > a bug), but it should be fixed, either by having debconf handle this
> > sanely in the Gnome frontend, or by not passing such a long list of selections
> > to it.
>
> Yeah I know about this problem (I have a 480 pixel high screen..).
>
> This should be fixed in debconf, but I don't know how to do it. Fixing
> it right requires getting the gnome wizard widget to add a scrollbar
> somehow, so the page of widgets can be scrolled around. If someone who
> knows how can help, I'd love to do that.

just add a GtkScrolled at the top level. i'll do that for you (it is
quite easy) if you tell me were the widget is built.

> In the shorter term, there's really no reason for the gnome frontend to
> use a series of checkboxes for a multiselect question, when it could
> just use a single multi-select list. I can probably figure out how to do
> this on my own, and it's already on my TODO list, but again any help
> would be appreciated, as I'm not too familiar with gnome or gtk.

i think that a series of checks is more clear than a single multiselect
(if the choiches are limited). i know quite well gtk, if nobody else
volunteers i'll look into that tomorrow.

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio