Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 02:44:01PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:49:09PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:11:56PM +0100, Nick Phillips wrote:
> > > I'd have thought that the current situation re. maintainers putting
> > > translations into .debs makes it blindingly obvious that requiring them
> > > to do so in order for a translation to become available is a bad idea.
> >
> > Do package descriptions change so regularly that translated descriptions
> > couldn't be submitted through the bug tracking system and included
> > in the next upload?
> >
> > Most of my packages have never had their description changed from
> > when I first wrote it. It would be better if we could just include
> > translated descriptions in the debian/control file.
>
> See also the other mail: >50 changes in 10 days in main/sid
>
> But if you include the translation only in the debian/control you have
>  - delays (maybe we have a override file and can solve this)
>  - you will have outdated translations (like debconf now)
>  - you must patch dpkg etc. in a wide way
>
> We can include the translation in the package. This is not the
> problem, but please not in the control file. The translation is no new
> information of the package, it is only a translation. Only a other form of
> the orignal text.
>
> Please read the last proposal, I explain a possibly solution in it.

I wonder if the translators are over reacting here, yes people seem worried
aboout the number of bug reports or whatever translations are generating.

However this is because at the moment the translation effort is generating a
lot of output.

A lot of output is generated in some manner whenever there is a large addition
to the distribution. Such as a new port. For example when ia64 porters did a
whole lot of automatic bug submissions en masse a few months ago, some people
got annoyed at the behavior, however that was an example of a new addition to
debian generating a huge number of changes or needs for bug fixing.

Thus it is obvious that when adding a lot of brand new shiny translations to
packages a lot of bug reports would be generated (or translations
notifications or whatever.)

However once the translation effort settles down (which I assume will happen
at some point, ie when the majority of packages have translated descriptions)
the only times you get a whole lot of messages about translation is for each
new package added to debian, or if description changes. The second is rare as
has been pointed out, and new packages, well everything else about a packagve
goes into the bts.

Just because it seems at the moment that too many translation notifications
are being generated for them to be placed into the bts I wonder if it is
overkill/added complexity to try to use something else, as I would assume the
number of translation notifications happening will not be so high permanently.

As someone has pointed out the translation effort for the strings inside
packages outputs to the bts, why not this, afterall once this settles down i
would assume description translations would generate a much smaller stream of
translations for packages already in debian.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh