Re: Reasons why package central approach to handling translations may be suboptimal

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:47:36AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 08:10:10PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > no, don't re-invent the wheel. This all make gettext. We don't need
> > patch apt, dpkg, other toold this way.
> >
> > We must only use a old, nice and tested tool: gettext.
>
> Nice, I wasn't aware it solves the encoding problem as well!

I don't check it, but the info page assert this:
   `gettext' not only looks up a translation in a message catalog.  It
also converts the translation on the fly to the desired output character
set.  This is useful if the user is working in a different character set
than the translator who created the message catalog, because it avoids
distributing variants of message catalogs which differ only in the
character set.

> The only place where it isn't 100% suited for our purposes is the
> Descriptions-XX.po, because the English text is duplicated. Would it

See the last proposal, we can bypass this problem. With a
Descriptions-XX file (without the .po and without the english
description) we can reduce the download size. But we must make a work
on the client side and we use the size on the client all the time.

> make sense to hack gettext to make it allow checksums instead of the
> English descriptions?

Maybe. But we can use gettext now. Make a generall improvement to
gettext to use optinal md5sum-.mo files. Gettext support a version
number in the .mo file also.

With this improvement all programs can use this feature.

Gruss
Grisu
"Ein Computer ist nunmal ein Hochgeschwindigkeitstrottel."
                  -- Jens Dittmar in de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers