Re: Reasons why package central approach to handling translations may be suboptimal

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 08:10:10PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> no, don't re-invent the wheel. This all make gettext. We don't need
> patch apt, dpkg, other toold this way.
>
> We must only use a old, nice and tested tool: gettext.

Nice, I wasn't aware it solves the encoding problem as well!

The only place where it isn't 100% suited for our purposes is the
Descriptions-XX.po, because the English text is duplicated. Would it
make sense to hack gettext to make it allow checksums instead of the
English descriptions?

Cheers,

  Richard

--