Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 07:47:26PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:

> > > upstream packages because they are not part of a package? The
> > > translation of the error messages and other messages of a program belong
> > > to the package of it.
>
> > That depends on whether you're distributing one package or thousands.
>
> Why do make this dependant on the number of packages? I think that using
> some count like you do, is a bad thing.

Because if you're only distributing one package or small group of packages
(say, KDE), then your focus is making the translations available for all the
people who use that package, whether or not the particular distribution
they got it from has infrastructure to support translations. Hence it makes
sense to put the translations in the package in that case.

If on the other hand you are one of those distributions, distributing
all sorts of packages, some of which have upstream translations, some of
which don't, some of whose maintainers are able and willing to spend time
on translations, some of whose maintainers aren't, then it doesn't make
sense to set yourselves up in such a way (translations always living in
packages) that translations will only be available when the maintainer
does work on them.

Think about it.

> > But if we want to be, and are, able to easily add extra translations, or
> > override poor-quality upstream translations (all without causing hassles for
> > maintainers), then why not?
>
> Because for example I would prefer to be informed if any of my packages
> has a bad upstream translation and some has better one for me. Then I
> can forward and discuss it with the upstream and he can include it maybe
> in the official upstream sources. That way we wouldn't only improve the
> translation for people using debian, but also for people who are using
> some other free operating system and the upstream package.

Fine, no-one is saying that you shouldn't be able to arrange to be notified
when a particular package has a translation made available.

There is a difference between "not requiring a maintainer to be involved in
the provision of translations" and "not enabling a maintainer to be involved
in the provision of translations".

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Fine day to work off excess energy.  Steal something heavy.