Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On 01-09-06 Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 01:08:25PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > On 01-09-05 Nick Phillips wrote:
> > > The translation of any part of a package, be it the text of error messages,

> > So, shall we now remove all .po files and other translation from
> > upstream packages because they are not part of a package? The
> > translation of the error messages and other messages of a program belong
> > to the package of it.

> That depends on whether you're distributing one package or thousands.

Why do make this dependant on the number of packages? I think that using
some count like you do, is a bad thing.

> If upstream includes translations, then we don't have to worry about the
> maintainer managing inclusion of whichever languages people happen to write
> translations for.

> But if we want to be, and are, able to easily add extra translations, or
> override poor-quality upstream translations (all without causing hassles for
> maintainers), then why not?

Because for example I would prefer to be informed if any of my packages
has a bad upstream translation and some has better one for me. Then I
can forward and discuss it with the upstream and he can include it maybe
in the official upstream sources. That way we wouldn't only improve the
translation for people using debian, but also for people who are using
some other free operating system and the upstream package.

Christian
--
           Debian Developer (http://www.debian.org)