Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:49:09PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Do package descriptions change so regularly that translated descriptions
> couldn't be submitted through the bug tracking system and included
> in the next upload?

Apparently maintainers regularly fail to do anything with them at all for
ages. Besides which there is no real *need* for the maintainers to be
required to take action to make translations available.

> Most of my packages have never had their description changed from
> when I first wrote it. It would be better if we could just include
> translated descriptions in the debian/control file.

The descriptions are just one of the parts of a package that needs to
be translated. It would make more sense to consider the way to deal with
*all* the text in the package that needs to be translated.

Why put the translations in the control file? Why not just make available
(either in the package, or elsewhere, depending on the means by which the
package is to be distributed, and the maintainer's knowledge and inclination)
the translations for the whole package in one place?

Cheers,

Nick, who is waiting for someone to tell him he's completely wrong.

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
Tonight's the night: Sleep in a eucalyptus tree.