Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:44:30PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously jcdubacq@info.unicaen.fr wrote:
> > Then, I think it is quite easy to fetch all the translations from the
> > central server, to feed them into the .deb, for a stable release.
>
> I don't want to feed anything. I want to have a single central CVS
> archive for dpkg source, which we have now and which works quite well,
> and I don't see why that should change.

nobody will touch your source or your CVS. We ask onyl for this little
patch ...

sorry, but maybe you don't understand. If you have question ask!

> > One point, is that in five years maybe, we will have over 30
> > languages: western european languages, chinese, korean, eastern european
> > languages, maybe even alien languages :).
>
> In 5 years things may be different. Right now they're not :)

NO!

If we (the debian project) would get translations, you must support
the translators.

maybe I make a comparison:

  See the package maintainer. If he must every package upload to the
  ftpmaster (he own the archiv) and must wait of this person, nobody
  will work as package maintainer. The maintainer don't have fun with
  this delay, problems,..

We have the same problem with the translations. If a translator can
submit his translation hisself and he can see the result and
advantages the next day. He have fun and translate more.

See auric.debian.org/~grisu/ddts/ddts-stat.png. The pt_BR group had
translated >300 descriptions in one week.

If we support the translators, we will get >10 languages in one year,
and maybe >20 in two years.  (not in all languages all packages, but
some languages with a lot of translations). We must automated the
translation process and we must founding real translation groups.

> > Then rerelease, or try to get the translations before release. There is
> > really no other way, unless the maintainer wants to keep in touch with
> > other 30 people just for translations.
>
> Translater can have access to dpkg CVS, I don't even have to worry
> about translations besides the occasional message to ask them to
> resync.

We don't speach a dpkg only thing. We don't have all packages in CVS
and the translators can't access the source code of all packages via
CVS.

Gruss
Grisu
Du wei?t doch... jeder hat die Software, die er verdient hat.
  --- Felix von Leitner