Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Michael Bramer wrote:
> > We propose the central translation for dpkg and co. But how should this
> > work?
>
> Sorry, but not. dpkg translations will stay inside the dpkg source
> otherwise it is simply not maintainable. Also realize that dpkg is
> work on non-Debian systems just as well and should be a self
> contained package.

Then, I think it is quite easy to fetch all the translations from the
central server, to feed them into the .deb, for a stable release.
One point, is that in five years maybe, we will have over 30
languages: western european languages, chinese, korean, eastern european
languages, maybe even alien languages :). There are several ways to get
the translations: release before, and wait, and make a new upload for
each translation, or have the translations elsewhere. I think having a
centralized system doesn't prevent including (some of the) translations
in the package itself.

Wichert also wrote:
> That breaks if you sign packages since it will either break the
> signature or add unsigned content.

Then rerelease, or try to get the translations before release. There is
really no other way, unless the maintainer wants to keep in touch with
other 30 people just for translations.

--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq