Re: Fonts working "out of the box"

On 22-Aug-01, 08:35 (CDT), David Starner <dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org> wrote:
> Run this program for me:
>
> for i in /usr/share/doc/x* /usr/share/doc/g* /usr/share/doc/k*; do
> 	sleep 1s
> 	echo $i" needs you to stop and fix its fonts."
> 	echo "Please enter your favorite font."
> 	read $font;
> done
>
> Was that a fun experiance? Would it make you chose Debian?

No, that's (obviously) not a good idea.

What would be nice, though, is that when I install a font package, those
fonts become available, under consistent names, to all the font-using
packages capable of using that format of font. One imagines a system
similar to the emacs add-on packages, with register hooks.

No, I have no idea if that is practical, or even possible. I'm just
saying what I would like.

Steve