Re: Fonts working "out of the box"

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 09:13:37AM +0200, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, David Starner wrote:
>
> > To prevent it, use non-bitmapped fonts when chosing fonts, and change
> > conffiles to refer to non-bitmapped fonts.
> And this is not the task of Debian users in my opinion.  We can´t
> enforce our users to find settings for each program themselves and
> change config files.

My locale is en_US.UTF-8, Tomohiro KUBOTA probably runs a ja_JP.EUC-JP
locale most of the time, and I'm guessing you use de_DE.ISO-8859-1.
I need -misc-fixed, -gnu-unifont, or some TrueType fonts that I have
but aren't included in Debian. Tomohiro needs one of the Japanese
TrueType fonts (that are included in Debian) or a large bitmap font.
You're probably happy with the ISO-8859-1 URW fonts that come with
Ghostscript. You switch the default font to one of the URW fonts, and
it looks better for you, is broken for me, and completely unusable for
Tomohiro.

Yes, a developer should try to tweak the font settings, provided that
the program uses a fontset. But it's not something that can be solved
by the developer; only you know which characters you need, which fonts
you like, and which fonts you have installed.

> In my opinion maintainers of the relevant programs
> should be enforced to use debconf for this issues at least.

Run this program for me:

for i in /usr/share/doc/x* /usr/share/doc/g* /usr/share/doc/k*; do
	sleep 1s
	echo $i" needs you to stop and fix its fonts."
	echo "Please enter your favorite font."
	read $font;
done

Was that a fun experiance? Would it make you chose Debian?

How the heck would you set it up, anyway? Dump a list of fonts on the
system, and ask them to pick one? Considering that people of different
locales often share a system, having debconf do this seems doubly a
bad idea - don't use debconf to set up user options (Debian is
a multi-user OS), use debconf to set up system options.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and