Re: new port

hi

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 01:27:05PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously A Mennucc1 wrote:
> > the proposed name is  'Debian GNU/win'
>
> At the very least that should be win32.

I faintly remember a discussion (in win32@lists.debian.org)
where someone was pointing out this fact:
 "win32 is a trademark/copyright by Microsoft"

I don't know if this is true, but I would propose to NOT USE 'win32'
but rather 'win' (to stay on the safe side)

we don't want to challenge Microsoft on that issue, right?

> > 1) I need to patch dpkg to add the new port, and before that
> >  I need consensus at least on the name 'Debian GNU/win' that I propose
>
> I don't see why you need to have a consensus on the name for that. In
> fact I already removed all mentions of Linux from the dpkg source since
> it is not Linux-specific.

the problem is that  I need 'dpkg -print-architecture' to work,
and that must be hardcoded in dpkg  (right?)
So I want some consensus before I ask the mantainer of dpkg
(Wichert Akkerman) to do that

a.

--
A Mennucc
 "È un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Renato Carotone)