Re: new port

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 03:32:07PM +0200, A Mennucc1 wrote:

> hi
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 01:27:05PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously A Mennucc1 wrote:
> > > the proposed name is  'Debian GNU/win'
> >
> > At the very least that should be win32.
>
> I faintly remember a discussion (in win32@lists.debian.org)
> where someone was pointing out this fact:
>  "win32 is a trademark/copyright by Microsoft"
>
> I don't know if this is true, but I would propose to NOT USE 'win32'
> but rather 'win' (to stay on the safe side)

Yes it is a trademark, check on <URL: http://tarr.uspto.gov/>

Serial no. : 74235727
Registration no. : 1793187

The attorney's of record are:
Seed and Berry
6300 Columbia Center
Seattle, WA 98104-7092
US

Unfortunately their website seem to be inoperative at the moment. However
I wouldn't have thought that referencing an API would constitute trademark
infringement (you aren't claiming to be the win32 or a compatible, just
indicating your usage of it).

However IANAL so it may be worthwhile asking their lawyers' what is the
correct way to refer to a program which operates on a win32 api.

Anand