Re: [OT] lazy maintainers

On 08 Aug 2001 01:42:10 -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> refusing to maintain a package, and refusing to let anyone else help
> is one of the more evil evil things a debian developer can do.

Refusing to upload a package is not the same thing as refusing to
maintain a package.  myth is not uploading the package.  you can't make
him.  in other news, i don't think the non-US deal is entering into it
anymore.  I believe that myth is probably just continuing to hack on the
package and doesn't want to upload something sub-optimal into debian.
Even if you think you can do better, which you can't, it's not your
package, it's his.  As a few have pointed out, none of the things which
everyone complains about has actually affected a release of Debian yet.
Despite the convenience of testing/unstable, the main goal of a package
maintainer is to actually make a good release of Debian happen, not to
make bleeding-edgers happy.

> > Be patient.  For goodness' sake, i'm the galeon maintainer and my
> > package is sorely effected by outdated mozilla versions... how is it
> > that I am in the minority supporting the current maintainer of mozilla?
>
> and pray tell how patient should we be?  sorry but we are seeing a
> trend here, when M18 became obsolete we were told be patient, version
> after version after version of mozilla was released and still we
> remained at the pathetic M18, and were told `be patient'

"Assume" makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me".  Don't assume that because
there's a slightly long-ish delay now, it's for the same reason as the
very-long delay before and that it will be very-long.  As I mentioned,
it would appear that the issues which held up post-M18 releases are now
non-issues.  If you want to find out what the issues are, perhaps you
should diplomatically approach myth in private.  If he doesn't answer
you, perhaps it's because you and a hundred other people are insulting
him, so perhaps you should go find something more productive to do.

> sorry but that is rediculous.  NMU mozilla.

This would be decidedly more ridiculous.  The current situation is not
really anywhere near ridiculous.  Everything that embeds mozilla is
still happy with 0.9.1, and people are now able to use all the key
features in mozilla.  Mozilla 0.9.3 is a point release, folks, it'll
make things go kinda faster or something.  If you want it so badly, go
get the unofficial packages that are widely available.  Don't complain
that the delay is hurting Debian development, because it's not, and
everyone's ignorant and pointless complaining is probably hurting Debian
more in that it makes a hard working debian developer (Myth) wish he had
never thought about maintaining mozilla and it fills up folks' mailboxes
with clueless, cynical, half-witted attempts at slander.

Of course, this well-put-together uberflamebait will probably just make
things worse.

--
Jared Johnson
solomon@futureks.net