Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

Hi,

At Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:09:13 +0200,
Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> wrote:

> Ok, this does not seem so bad.  Of course, the choice between
> '?' and some other ASCII char would be at the discretion of
> the maintainer in question.

Right.

Note that this cannot be achieved using automatic transliteration
software.

> (though I would prefer to use Maintainer-name instead of Maintainer-utf8,
> or Mainainer-rfc2822 instead of Maintainer - but this is a minor
> nitpick)

I think it is not a minor problem.  In "C" (i.e., default) locale,
the encoding must be ASCII.  IMO, not all Debian developers in the
world are familiar with encoding.  Thus, I prefer some informative
field name such as Maintainer-utf8.

>> It means that we must use ASCII as the common
>> encoding in the world.
>
> must?
> we had to use uppercase-letters only once, for the sake of
> interoperability. But times have changed, more and more
> computers started to use charset with lowercase letters too.
> Development goes on.

I am saying based on the real popularity of encodings.
Encodings which don't include (for example) &uuml; is
and will be widely used in the world.  On the other hand,
do you know some major mass of people who use Debian with
encodings which don't support lowercase?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/