Re: ia64/hppa porter NMUs for woody

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> First, let me say that I understand the difficult position that these porters
> are in, given the impending freeze and the large number of packages that need
> fixing.  However, is the current state of woody such that source NMUs for
> porting fixes should be uploaded without any waiting period?
>
> The Developer's Reference says that immediate uploads can be made to fix
> porting problems in 'frozen'.  This needs to be updated to reflect the new
> 'testing' mechanism, but with the multi-phase freeze, my interpretation is that
> such uploads may be made for the portion of the distribution which is currently
> frozen.
> My question is, shouldn't porter NMUs for non-frozen packages wait at least one
> day, to give the maintainer a chance to integrate the fix with any pending
> updates?

Quotiong the Developer's Reference:

<--  snip  -->

     During the release freeze (see Section 6.2.2.1, `Uploading to
     _frozen_'), NMUs which fix serious or higher severity bugs are
     encouraged and accepted.  Even during this window, however, you should
     endeavor to reach the current maintainer of the package; they might be
     just about to upload a fix for the problem.  As with any source NMU,
     the guidelines found in Section 7.4, `How to do a source NMU' need to
     be followed.

<--  snip  -->

After reading this I can't see how it could be correct to do a source NMU
even within a freeze when you answered within two hours.

cu
Adrian

--

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400