ia64/hppa porter NMUs for woody

First, let me say that I understand the difficult position that these porters
are in, given the impending freeze and the large number of packages that need
fixing.  However, is the current state of woody such that source NMUs for
porting fixes should be uploaded without any waiting period?

The Developer's Reference says that immediate uploads can be made to fix
porting problems in 'frozen'.  This needs to be updated to reflect the new
'testing' mechanism, but with the multi-phase freeze, my interpretation is that
such uploads may be made for the portion of the distribution which is currently
frozen.

However, one of my Priority: extra packages had a serious bug filed and an NMU
made sometime before the next dinstall run.  About _two hours_ after receiving
the bug, I sent mail to the submitter stating that I would be making an upload
to fix the bug, and I didn't realize until today's dinstall run that an NMU had
already been made (it was processed along with my maintainer upload).  So,
either an upload had already been made within the first two hours before my
response, or my message was ignored or lost and an upload was made anyway.  In
either case, the upload was made less than 24 hours after the bug report.

My question is, shouldn't porter NMUs for non-frozen packages wait at least one
day, to give the maintainer a chance to integrate the fix with any pending
updates?

--
 - mdz