Re: UTF-8 editor support in Debian?

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:00:54PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 06:48:55PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > apart from other already mentioned, try yudit, it works rather well
> > (and has its own keyboard maps, which is sometimes really convenient),
> > even if it is rather simple editor...
>
> This is only tangentially related, but for those who (like me) are interested
> in linguistics, I submitted a while ago an ASCII-IPA keyboard map to the Yudit
> author, who put it on the Yudit website and may include it in future versions.
> This allows one to type in the ASCII-IPA alphabet as specified by Evan
> Kirshenbaum and have real Unicode IPA show up in Yudit. (IPA = International
> Phonetic Alphabet)
>
> Also, if you use the yudit package, you will be getting yudit 1.5. You may be
> interested in yudit 2.0, which the yudit package maintainer dislikes due to
> the elimination of menus and the replacement of them with special buttons.
> I don't mind that, myself, and it has advantages, none of which I recall now.
> Look at http://www.yudit.org/ and see for yourself which one you prefer.

Cool, I was not aware of it. Yudit 2.0 addresses some annoying glitches
I had with 1.5, and has many enhancements.
I might even consider packaging it (but, since aliened rpm works fine,
I have no pressure right now)

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:13:36PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 06:48:55PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> >
> > apart from other already mentioned, try yudit, it works rather well
> > (and has its own keyboard maps, which is sometimes really convenient),
> > even if it is rather simple editor...
> >

> I've downloaded it now, thanks for pointing it out.
>
> It looks useful.  One problem I see with it is that it doesn't seem to
> accept keyboard input directly from X, if that makes sense.  You

I am now playing with 2.0, and it could be possible there aer some
improvements over debian version  (if you installed the debian package)