Re: UTF-8 editor support in Debian?

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:00:54PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Since I generally use vim for most editing, I think I'm going to check out
> those packages that Wichert mentioned. But yudit is worth looking into as well.

Wow, I am quite impressed with vim 6.0, even though it is only in alpha now.
I had already done most of the work to set up Unicode support; I used my
startu wrapper around the startx script to start up X with a UTF-8 locale, and
my xterm is configured to start in UTF-8 mode with a Unicode font. That said,
in vim, I tried the default digraphs (which have been changed to be
RFC-compliant), which worked nicely, and I entered a pair of obscure Unicode
characters, one of which was combining, and I must say that vim is the ONLY
editor I have seen, on any platform, to render this combination correctly. It
also handled properly the distinction between nonspacing and spacing modifier
characters. This is amazing support. For reference, the obscure characters I
used were U+0283 and U+034D if I remember correctly. I believe I was using
a fixed font from the ucs-fonts distribution. The only negative thing I noticed
was, when I entered this obscure combination and then pressed the right and
left arrow keys a few times, the character É (that's a capital e with an acute
accent) replaced what I had entered on the screen. I am confident that this is
merely a display problem appropriate to alpha-quality software, since when I
pressed Ctrl+L to redraw the screen it rendered properly again.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org