Re: UTF-8 editor support in Debian?

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 06:48:55PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:

> > So what exactly is the state of support for creating UTF-8 files at
> > the moment?  As far as I can tell, few of the text editors support it.
>
> apart from other already mentioned, try yudit, it works rather well
> (and has its own keyboard maps, which is sometimes really convenient),
> even if it is rather simple editor...

I've downloaded it now, thanks for pointing it out.

It looks useful.  One problem I see with it is that it doesn't seem to
accept keyboard input directly from X, if that makes sense.  You
*have* to use the supplied templates.  This is undesirable for me
since I usually use just one other foreign language (russian), and have a
key mapped to easily toggle between latin and cyrillic (I found a use
at last for those silly Windows buttons... ;) ).  In yudit you have to
bother clicking through the menu to switch back and forth, you can't
just tap a toggle jey.  But I guess on the other hand, it means you
use yudit to edit in UTF-8 regardless of the locale you're using,
which is a good thing.

I'm glad to know it's there :)

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A